Thursday, 16 July 2015

The Dangerous of carbon monoxide on Holiday

Did you know 1 in 2 of us are in danger of carbon monoxide poisoning? 

New research reveals that millions of families are unknowingly taking risks with their lives, exposing themselves to carbon monoxide gas leaking from gas cookers, BBQs and heaters used inside their tent or caravan.

Gas safety champion CORGI HomePlan is campaigning for greater awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide facing campers and caravanners as they head off on summer holidays.


They survey of 2,000 holidaymakers by CORGI HomePlan revealed a worrying lack of understanding about the risk that campers and caravaners are taking, using appliances that emit the deadly fumes in confined spaces. 45% of people cook in their tent or awning, one in five have used a fuel burning appliance to heat their tent and a staggering 17% of people have brought a charcoal or gas BBQ inside the tent.


Carbon monoxide is a deadly gas created when fuel doesn't burn properly. Undetectable by smell, sight or taste it can quickly spread in a confined area.  A quarter of people who were surveyed thought they could smell it, where 1 in 10 believed you can taste it. Almost one in two do not know how the gas is created.

So here is the top tips for CO awareness:-

·   Don’t use a barbecue inside a tent, awning, caravan or motorhome. The smouldering coals of a barbecue release poisonous carbon monoxide (CO), which can kill
·      Never use a barbecue as a heater. Barbecues should be for outside use only
·      Remember - barbecues give off carbon monoxide during use, and may continue to do so for some while after use. Do not move a barbeque into a confined space until it is extinguished and has cooled down. NEVER use a lit or extinguished (but still warm) barbeque as a source of heating in a tent or awning
·      Don't cook inside your tent or awning as there may be inadequate ventilation and there's also the risk of fire
·      Always ensure there is adequate ventilation when using the caravan/motorhome cooker
·      Check there are no obstructions covering ventilators
· Never use a gas, petrol or diesel-powered generator inside a caravan, motorhome, tent or awning
·  Don't use any other fuel burning appliances inside a tent or awning such as a refrigerator, gas-powered heaters, lamps etc.
·   It is vitally important to have gas appliances serviced and tested annually
·   A carbon monoxide (CO) alarm is a good idea. Choose a 'Type B' alarm that complies with the BS EN 50291 standard, and install it1-3m (measured horizontally) from any potential source of carbon monoxide, but not directly above a source of heat or steam

For some more information please see the Corgi Website 

*we got given a free item for our own photos*
  




4 comments:

  1. Great post!!! I know someone who nearly lost their life to carbon monoxide poisoning...so it's great to spread the awareness of it!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is wonderful that you are highlighting an issue that is significant to our wellbeing. Many of us do not know the true dangers of Carbon Monoxide poisoning ( me included) and your frank post really opened my eyes. http://www.fadedspring.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. doesn't it just, I learnt alot from doing this post myself.

      Delete

Thank you for reading, I love reading your comments.